In our culturally diverse and global educational communities, there are many languages and communication styles. For lots of students English is not their first language, and resources need to be available in multiple languages to offer fair access.
Kami has been built as a platform for English language-based documents and comprehension. However, using Google Translate’s Document tool alongside Kami there is a way to quickly translate resources, convert them to a PDF, and use them within the Kami app. This method is not perfect and may have improper formatting once converted to a Kami file, but for those struggling to find translated resources, it does a basic job of providing them.
How to translate your resources for Kami
Your resources can be translated quickly and easily using Google Translate’s Document function.
- Go to translate.google.com.
- In the top left-hand corner select the Documents button.
- Click Browse your Computer and select the file you wish to translate.
- In the top bar, select the language you wish your document to be translated into, then click Translate.
- This will bring up your translated document as a webpage.
- Right-click this translated page and select Print.
- Via the Destination drop-down menu, you can then choose to save your file as a PDF on your computer or straight to Google Drive.
Your file has now been translated and saved – all you have to do now is open it into Kami!
- Go to your Kami account.
- Select the Open from Google Drive or Open from Computer option, depending on where you saved your file.
- Find your chosen file and it will open in Kami where you and your students can edit it using the full toolbar.
Note: The formatting for this method is not perfect and it may appear in Kami with improper spacing. However, it should all be legible.
Using your translated document in Kami
Kami is not language-sensitive so any document, whatever the language, can be annotated and completed using the full suite of mark-up tools. Notably the:
- Text-to-Speech function works as normal and will read whatever language is on the document. For perfect pronunciation, you can download a specific language pack from Google and use the appropriate voice.
- Voice Typing within the comment function can also be done in any language and the tool will recognize and produce the correct spelling of the speaker’s language.
The exception to this is the Dictionary Tool which currently only supports English and will not function for other languages.